Organic hulled millet is a versatile and very digestible grain, often used by people on gluten-free or wheat-free diets. Millet has a mild flavour that lends itself well to seasonings. It is a popular grain in Africa, China & India where it is often used to make flatbreads.
Simple ways to include more millet in your diet:
- Make millet porridge for breakfast and top it with your favourite fresh fruit or berries
- Use puffed millet or lightly toasted millet to sprinkle over your cereal
- Use millet flour in when making flatbread or muffins
- Next time you are looking for an alternative to potatoes or rice, make a nutritious side dish with millet or millet couscous
- Add cooked millet to your favourite soup or stew.
How to cook millet… add ½ cup of millet to 1½ cups of water or stock, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 25mins. If you want the millet to have a more creamy consistency, stir it frequently whilst cooking adding a little water very now and then. To enhance the flavour of your dish you can lightly roast the millet in a dry saucepan over medium heat until they are golden in colour prior to cooking as above.